Ghosts, Haunting, and Legends
Home Archives Late-Night Footsteps

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

Witness: Michael A. Wethington
Location: Bethel Island, California
Date of Encounter: 1986

When I was younger, I used to live in a small trailer, behind my uncle's business. There was a friend of mine that had a house next to my uncle's business — the house was on a levy. If you aren't familiar with a levy, it is a raised bank of a river and usually there is a road upon the levy, hence "Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry". Well it's suppose to be dry cause it is the raised bank of a river.

Anyway, my friend, Roger's house was on the levy, the top floor was even with the levy and the bottom floor was on the land side — it was really built into the levy so to speak.

There was a porch that went from the front, to the left-side of the house, and the left-side of the porch was on stilts to keep it even with the front-side of the porch. When you walked on the porch you would have to go around to the left side, because there was a door in the front and a door on the left side of the house. They only used the side entrance to go in and out. When you walked on the left-side it was wood so you could hear the foot steps as you walked.

One night I heard footsteps in the middle of the night, woke up and looked up at the house, but I couldn't see anything so I went back to sleep.

The next night the same thing happened at about the same time — footsteps going from the left of the house, out the gate, and gone. The third night I woke up again, and there was the same footsteps going from the left-side of the house, to the front, out the gate, and gone.

The next morning I saw Roger and I asked him, "Why are you guys having parties every night? Man, I cant sleep with all that noise and people walking around your house that late!"

That's when told me what had been going on — that he and his wife were going to bed at 10:30 every night, and around 2:00 or 2:30 the first night they heard someone open the gate, walk to the side entrance of the house, then knock real lightly on the door. He said he got up and went to the door but no one was there. The second night around the same time, the same thing happened, and no one was there. The third night he stayed up in the kitchen by that door with the lights out. He heard the gate open, and the footsteps on the porch — he was looking to see if anyone was there, but he couldn't see anyone on the porch. He listened and followed the footsteps right to the door (it had a window in the door), he looked out the door window — right at the place you would be if you were coming to knock on the door, but he saw nothing. At that moment something he couldn't see knocked on the door — he opened it a split second later, because he was right at the door, but there was nothing there.

Roger then told me he heard the foot steps go along the porch and, go to the front porch ,and out the gate. He said he was freaking out because he could hear the steps but not see the person. He also told me that he was having his wife search the house to see if there was anything in it they may have missed when they moved in and she said only that suit case with the clothes in it. They threw that suitcase outside for the garbage man and never heard those footsteps again.

The house Roger lived in was pretty old, and there were a lot of old houses along that levy that were built between 1910 – 1920.

I wasn't woken up in the middle of the night anymore after that.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.