- This event has passed.
The Spirits of the Murdock-Whitney and Isaac Morse Houses
Jul 30, 2016 @ 6:00 am - 11:55 pm$99
Don’t go in alone.
Two years ago Legend Trips were the first group to hold an event at the haunted Murdock-Whitney Mansion. This year we’re back, but now the Winchendon Historical Society has also invited us to investigate the Isaac Morse House right next door!
The Isaac Morse house was built circa 1790 by Robert Ruggles, who was the architect and builder. The home has 10 rooms and 5 fireplaces and was once the home of Isaac Morse (1775-1860) and his wife Miriam Spofford. The couple had 10 children together, and Isaac fathered five others with his second wife, Frances Stephens of Amherst.
Morse had much influence in Winchendon business, church, and public affairs. Since he was also a large landowner, the inhabitants referred to the neighborhood as “Morse’s.” Isaac Morse died in 1860. This imposing house was purchased by Dr. Alton Skelton in 1939. Dr. Skelton’s second wife Evangeline sold the house to Dennis and Christine Porter, and now the home sits on the National Register of Historic Places. But it’s also seen tragedy. There was a suicide in this house, and given its long history, it’s possible there were other deaths as well. The Historical Society has only recently acquired the property, and they’re eager for answers. Is it haunted? Help us figure it out!
Whomever the old woman is that haunts the Murdock-Whitney House, she’s very protective of her home. She wanders the hallways, and is especially averse to allowing people into her bedroom. Her footsteps are heard throughout the house, including the mysterious third floor, in which the staff refuses to enter by themselves.
Built from 1820-1830, the Murdock-Whitney House is the home of the Winchendon Historical Society and one of the town’s most beautiful and historic mansions, with its Colonial Revival redesign and Victorian elements.
It was built by Elisha Murdock, son of Ephraim Murdock and founder in 1834 of E. Murdock and Company on River Street, Waterville. E. Murdock and Company was the second oldest industry in Winchendon and became the oldest and largest woodenware manufacturing establishment in the country. Elisha Murdock was also the first president of Winchendon Savings Bank, chartered on March 31, 1854. It remained the home of members of one of the most successful and longest-standing families in Winchendon until becoming the home of the Historical Society.
This location has only been open to paranormal investigation for about a year and a half, but has already become one of the most sought-after places to investigate in all of New England.