Don’t go in alone.
Whomever the old woman is that haunts the Murdock-Whitney House, she’s very protective of her home. She wanders the hallways, and is especially averse to allowing people into her bedroom. Her footsteps are heard throughout the house, including the mysterious third floor, in which the staff refuses to enter by themselves.
Built from 1820-1830, the Murdock-Whitney House is the home of the Winchendon Historical Society and one of the town’s most beautiful and historic mansions, with its Colonial Revival redesign and Victorian elements.
It was built by Elisha Murdock, son of Ephraim Murdock and founder in 1834 of E. Murdock and Company on River Street, Waterville. E. Murdock and Company was the second oldest industry in Winchendon and became the oldest and largest woodenware manufacturing establishment in the country. Elisha Murdock was also the first president of Winchendon Savings Bank, chartered on March 31, 1854. It remained the home of members of one of the most successful and longest-standing families in Winchendon until becoming the home of the Historical Society.
This location has only been open to paranormal investigation for about a year and a half, but has already become one of the most sought-after places to investigate in all of New England.